The event also commemorated the 34thyear of the Escalante Massacre, where 20 people died and scores of others wereinjured after they were shot by paramilitary forces during a protest-rally helda day before the 13th anniversary of the declaration of Martial Law. BACOLOD CITY – A total of 2,510 formerrebels and members of the New People’s Army (NPA) took their oath of allegianceto the Philippine government in Escalante City, Negros Occidental. During the program, governmentauthorities also apologized for the tragedy brought by the Escalante Massacre.Those who delivered statements of apologies were Executive Assistant RolynCabus; Maj. Win Love Bag-ao, commander of 33rd Civil-Military OperationsCompany; and Col. Romeo Baleros, director of Negros Occidental PoliceProvincial Office. He added that civilian agents, includingpsychologists and lawyers, assisted the surrenderers during the debriefing tohelp them cope with their fear of returning to the fold of the law. In her testimony, she has expressedwillingness to avail of the services of various government agencies. According to Vinoya, “the tragedy wasused by left-leaning organizations to fuel hatred and disgust against theduly-constituted government to push their wicked agenda.” Former rebels and supporters of the New People’s Army pledge allegiance to the Philippine government during the northern Negros peace summit in Escalante City, Negros Occidental on Sept. 20. PNA Others were from San Carlos City, 560;Toboso, 382; Don Salvador Benedicto, 217; Calatrava, 171; Sagay City, 63;Victorias City, 54; Cadiz City, 20; Murcia, 18; EB Magalona, 14; Manapla, 13;and Silay City, 1. “The time is now to move on andtransform the lesson of the past to be our jumping board for a better future.With the help of the agencies, organizations, and the whole nation, we willachieve genuine, inclusive and sustainable peace,” the army official added. “We are very fortunate to witness one ofthe nation’s milestones in achieving peace today. We will turn the EscalanteMassacre tragedy into a peace summit miracle,” said Brigadier Generak EricVinoya, assistant division commander of the 3rd Infantry Division (3ID), in hiskeynote message. One of the surrenderers, JanetPantonial, now in her 50s, was one of those injured in the 1985 massacre andhas decided to reconcile with the government. Mayor Melecio Yap Jr. of the host-citysaid the process of surrender of those from Escalante started as early asNovember last year. Of the 2,510 former rebels who pledgedallegiance before Escalante City local government operations officer SharonCadigai, a majority or 997 were from Escalante. The surrender took place during thesecond day of the North Negros Peace Summit hosted by the city government of Escalantewith the Philippine Army’s 79th Infantry Battalion. In a statement, the 3ID said the “Armyis not in any way involved in the massacre, but we do accept the fact that thegovernment failed to address the social issues being raised by the peasants andthe marginalized sector, which prompted them to revolt during that time.” (With a report from PNA/PN)
Published on February 27, 2016 at 4:12 pm Contact Paul: [email protected] | @pschweds Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse (19-10, 9-7 Atlantic Coast) beat North Carolina State (14-15, 4-12), 75-66, on Saturday in the Carrier Dome. The Orange led throughout nearly the entire game and secured its lead despite several Wolfpack runs. Senior Michael Gbinije racked up a career-high 34 points in his final regular season home game and set a career-high with eight 3s.Here are three takeaways from the game.Goodbye to the DomeGbinije said goodbye to the Carrier Dome in grand fashion. After being honored before the game and raising his commemorative framed jersey to the crowd, he finished with a career-high 34 points and shot 8-for-13 from 3, beating his career-high of six, which he set earlier this season against Charlotte.With just a one-point lead midway through the first half, Gbinije canned a 3 from the right wing to put the Orange up by four. He held his follow through and launched an imaginary bow toward the crowd behind the basket. Gbinije later laid in the basket to give Syracuse a 14-point lead and forced Wolfpack head coach Mark Gottfried to call a timeout.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textWhen Syracuse needed to squelch N.C. State’s runs, it was Gbinije who seemingly always came through. His 3 with just under five minutes remaining sent the Carrier Dome crowd into a frenzy, gave Syracuse a 64-56 lead and put his stamp on a game that he owned. Then he proceeded to hit another one and set a new career high in points.Roberson remains quietA week after head coach Jim Boeheim said if he had any other players, Tyler Roberson wouldn’t play, the junior forward responded with just four points and three rebounds in 14 minutes. Boeheim stayed true to that sentiment on Saturday. The ACC’s leader in offensive rebounds spent most of his time on the bench, sandwiched in between assistant coaches Adrian Autry and Mike Hopkins.Tyler Lydon played 32 minutes and Dajuan Coleman played a season-high 35 in SU’s frontcourt. The Orange lost the rebounding battle by a slim 38-36 margin against a stout Wolfpack front line that includes BeeJay Anya and Abdul-Malik Abu.Caging the ‘Cat’Anthony ‘Cat’ Barber came into Saturday leading the ACC in scoring with 23.5 points per game but the Orange’s zone held him to just 15.Three minutes into the game, Barber passed down low with two seconds on the shot clock and N.C. State didn’t get a shot off in time. Five minutes later, his jump shot was blocked by Dajuan Coleman. Late in the first half with the Wolfpack down by five, Barber dribbled inside the arc and pulled up, but Frank Howard’s hand was just inches from his face and the shot fell short bouncing off the front of the rim.In the second half, Barber sat on the bench for six minutes. He averaged 38.6 minutes per game, but as Syracuse solidified its double-digit lead, Barber didn’t play as much. After Barber came back in with 9:43 left in the game, he couldn’t crack SU’s defense as N.C. State fell one big run short of a comeback. Comments
RelatedChelsea Agree £60m Morata Deal With Real MadridJuly 20, 2017In “England”Chelsea Seal Club-Record Deal For Spanish Goalkeeper KepaAugust 9, 2018In “Europe”Mourinho Not Intereted In Chelsea TransfersJuly 20, 2017In “England” Chelsea FC has announced the signing of Alvaro Morata from Real Madrid on a five-year deal.The Spaniard will now join up with rest of the Chelsea squad on their pre-season tour of Asia. “I am so happy to be here. It’s an incredible emotion to be part of this big club. I am looking to work hard, score as many goals as I can and to win as many trophies as possible.” Morata said after completing his move. More to follow shortly…
The 23-time Grand Slam champion has seen her ranking slip to 451 and is unseeded in Paris, a decision criticised by many, including Serena’s long-time rival Maria Sharapova and even US President Donald Trump’s daughter Ivanka.Serena herself, though, has never publicly called for a change to the seeding rules, instead saying the biggest difference for her since becoming a mother is wanting to get away from court a bit quicker.“The biggest difference is definitely that I’m semi on time (for her press conference) today, two minutes late, because I want to get home and see Olympia, because I have been here all day,” she said after her first-round win over Kristyna Pliskova on Tuesday, her first Grand Slam match since the 2017 Australian Open final when she beat sister Venus while two months pregnant.Serena’s fellow former world number one Victoria Azarenka was forced to miss the majority of last season after becoming embroiled in a custody battle over her son.With a current ranking of 84, Azarenka was beaten in the first round at Roland Garros by Katerina Siniakova.Luxembourg’s Mandy Minella incredibly played while four and a half months pregnant at Wimbledon last year, having found out she was expecting a child just before going out on court.“It was a real shock. My whole body was sweating and I was shaking but we were happy straight away,” Minella, who also lost in French Open first round, said last July.– Ferrer points out the negatives –With the demands of touring the world while playing a very physical sport, parenthood can also have a big affect on the top male players.David Ferrer, who blew a two-set lead against fellow Spaniard Jaume Munar to lost in the Roland Garros for the first time in his career, pointed out that being a father isn’t all fun and games.After all, even 20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer suffered a knee injury while running a bath for his twins in 2016.“Being a father is very nice, but it also has drawbacks,” said the 36-year-old Ferrer. “It makes me laugh that many parents only talk about the beautiful, but it’s also hard and there are sacrifices.”Uruguayan Pablo Cuevas, whose second child was born before the French Open, doesn’t necessarily agree with Ferrer.“I see it as an enjoyment, although sometimes it’s tiring, but sometimes there are tiring things that give you energy,” said the world number 75, who will face sixth seed Kevin Anderson in the second round on Thursday.Azarenka was keen to highlight the physical changes that make a successful return to tennis more difficult for mothers than fathers, while Williams feels that an added emotional attachment brings its own difficulties.“Men don’t go through the whole physical experience of becoming a parent,” Azarenka said.Serena, who suffered life-threatening blood clots after giving birth, added: “Emotionally I think it’s different, because, you know, I’m so emotionally attached to my daughter. Dads are, too, but I actually breast fed for a really, really, really long time, and so I just had this real connection with my daughter.”The 36-year-old Williams has been very open about becoming a parent, with HBO filming four-part documentary ‘Being Serena’, while her daughter Olympia already has a growing social media following.But some players, like Latvia’s Ernests Gulbis, would prefer to just talk about tennis.“That’s a private thing,” said the former French Open semi-finalist when asked about his newborn baby.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Back with a bang: Serena Williams made a winning return to Grand Slam tennis after a complicated pregnancy © AFP / CHRISTOPHE SIMONPARIS, France, May 30 – The return of Serena Williams to Grand Slam tennis after pregnancy has dominated the early headlines at the French Open, but there are plenty of other players who have seen their careers changed by parenthood in recent months.Williams’ comeback has highlighted the fact that women who return after having a child are treated the same way as those sidelined by injury.