Receive email alerts May 13, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Mexico Help by sharing this information April 28, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders appealed today to the federal authorities to take charge of the investigation into a shooting attack on Misaél Sánchez Sarmiento of the regional daily Tiempo in the southern city of Oaxaca on 12 June, because of the possibility that it was a reprisal linked to a social and political crisis in which a US cameraman was shot dead last October.“Mexico continues to be the western hemisphere’s most danger country for the press and the mood is still tense in Oaxaca, where light has still not been shed on the many human rights violations that took place during last autumn’s crisis,” the press freedom organisation said.“Even if no link has yet been established between this attack and Sánchez’s work as journalist, score-settling cannot be ruled out,” Reporters Without Borders added. “Journalists continue to be very exposed targets in Oaxaca state, and the prevailing violence there has had a serious impact on press freedom.”An unidentified gunman fired six shots at Sánchez as he was walking towards his car, followed by his wife, at around 8:30 pm. Hit in the face, neck and leg, he miraculously survived and was rushed to the nearest hospital, where his condition was reported to be stable. His newspaper said a car with tinted windows and no licence plate followed the vehicle that took him to the hospital.The newspaper’s management told Reporters Without Borders that Sánchez wrote a report on 29 December 2006 about the murder of Indymedia news agency cameraman Brad Will on 27 October 2006 during violent clashes between supporters and opponents of Oaxaca state governor Ulises Ruiz Ortiz. Sánchez’s story blamed Will’s death on the Popular Assembly of the Peoples of Oaxaca (APPO), an activist alliance opposed to the governor, although the local authorities had initially been accused of his murder. Headlined “The APPO killed Brad,” the story’s publication was followed by threats against Sánchez. Nonetheless, no link has been established between the article and the 12 June shooting.Tiempo director Wenceslao Ramírez told Reporters Without Borders he had no idea of the motive for the attack. MexicoAmericas Reporter murdered in northwestern Mexico’s Sonora state Organisation May 5, 2021 Find out more to go further Reports News 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies News News June 14, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Newspaper reporter miraculously survives shooting attack in Oaxaca MexicoAmericas RSF_en NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say
Arteta confirmed the news (Picture: MB Media/Getty)Arteta confirmed the news and revealed that Aubameyang – the joint second-top goalscorer in the Premier League on 14 goals – had been ‘very disappointed’ after knowing he faced a three-match suspension, while calling on those stepping in for the banned striker to prove their worth.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘It’s been confirmed he will be suspended for three matches,’ he said. ‘It’s a big shame because we know his intentions but we have to accept it.‘He was very disappointed after the game. He’s been superb under me, working hard, scoring goals and he’s probably been our most important player.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘I hope we can play better and win the games. Players have to step up.‘It’s time to talk on the pitch and if they show they’re as good or better than him, they have a chance.’Will Arsenal beat Sheffield United?Yes0%No0%Share your resultsShare your resultsTweet your results Comment Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 15 Jan 2020 3:26 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link842Shares Aubameyang will miss three games (Picture: MB Media/Getty)Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s appeal for his red card against Crystal Palace has been rejected, leaving Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta without his star striker for three matches.The club’s top goalscorer lunged in on Max Meyer during the 1-1 draw at Selhurst Park and was initially yellow carded, only for VAR to overturn the decision and send him for an early shower.Arsenal appealed the decision after the match, hoping to get his ban reduced but he will now miss clashes against Sheffield United, Chelsea and Bournemouth in the FA Cup, returning in February against Burnley. Mikel Arteta reveals how Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has reacted to suspension Advertisement Advertisement
The Blues are understood to have had four bids rejected so far – although Everton refused to confirm the latest reported £37million offer – and are unlikely to lodge a further bid before Tuesday’s 6pm deadline. “I don’t speak about players from other teams,” said Mourinho, whose side play Crystal Palace on Saturday in his 100th Premier League home game at Stamford Bridge. Jose Mourinho refused to comment on Chelsea’s pursuit of John Stones after admitting the Premier League champions had practised their defending this week. “He is a Guangzhou player, so it’s the same story. I don’t comment,” Mourinho added. Captain John Terry was sent off in the 3-2 win at The Hawthorns and is suspended, with Gary Cahill and Kurt Zouma likely to line-up in central defence. Chelsea have one loss in Mourinho’s 99 home games – against Sunderland in April 2014 – but have already conceded seven goals in three games this term, including a 3-0 loss at Manchester City. “We did a few things (in training),” Mourinho said. “We defended with nine men. I didn’t work the defenders, I worked the team, because you cannot blame defenders for goals conceded, because a team is a team and a good team defends as a team.” Mourinho insists Chelsea’s start, which began with a 2-2 home draw with Swansea, is no “drama” and that the five-point gap to leaders City is manageable. “It’s not normal that in three matches you have two penalties against and you play with 10 men twice,” said Mourinho, who saw goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois sent off against Swansea. “One match at home, two matches away, four points is not what we want, but four points is not a drama. “When you are five points behind a leader in another league that can be complicated. In the Premier League it’s not complicated. “(Manchester City are) a good team and they started well. Last season Chelsea started the same, or better, because we won seven or eight consecutive matches and we arrived on January 1 with the same points as other teams (level with City). “When the start is good, it’s good. It doesn’t mean you’re going all the way.” Chelsea beat Palace 1-0 to secure a first Premier League title in five years on May 3 and Mourinho hopes to, at least, avoid defeat in his 100th Premier League home game. Mourinho, who refused to discuss the Champions League draw against his former club Porto, Dynamo Kiev and Maccabi Tel-Aviv, added: “If I don’t win, I don’t get a good memory of 100 matches, because the 99 are not important. “If last season (Palace) were good, this season they are going to be even better. “But I see my team coming. Hopefully we can get three more points.” “I have a good squad. I’m happy with the squad I have. If I get another player until the end of the market, good. If I don’t get, we go with what we have.” Mourinho was asked about Everton boss Roberto Martinez’s belief that the transfer window should close before the competition begins. It is something the Portuguese has suggested previously, but he refused to respond. “You think I’m going to comment on Roberto Martinez’s words?” Mourinho said. “Not generally, I don’t comment. I don’t comment on other opinions.” Speculation of a Chelsea move for France midfielder Paul Pogba continues as the transfer deadline approaches, but Mourinho again declined to comment. “I’m not going to do the ‘like’, ‘I would like’ of Pogba. He’s a Juventus player, I’m the Chelsea manager,” added Mourinho, who last week rebuked Juve boss Massimiliano Allegri for commenting on his fondness for Ramires and Oscar. The Blues have also been linked with China right-back Zhang Linpeng from Guangzhou Evergande, an interest which is understood to be genuine. Once more, Mourinho was silent. Press Association
Nothing wrong with a dad trying to impress his daughter, right?And as far as Gonzalez is concerned, everything is about having fun.Now especially as the Dodgers fight for a chance to play in the World Series.He insists the Mickey Mouse ears he flashed after his Game 5 blast Wednesday wasn’t a pre-planned “take that” response to the Cardinals, who have accused him of over-doing it with some of his celebrating during the NLCS.In fact, Gonzalez said Friday he was doing it for his teammates standing in the dugout waiting to greet him after his third-inning home run gave the Dodgers a 3-2 lead.“They were calling me Mickey Mouse all day in the clubhouse,” Gonzalez said. So, up went his hands over his head as he approached the dugout.“Just having fun,” he said.And who knows, maybe working a lifetime pass to Disneyland in the process. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error And now that Gonzalez has given Disney all kinds of free public relations with all this Mickey Mouse stuff — including the Mickey Mouse ears gesture he flashed everyone after hitting a home run in Game 5 — maybe it’s time for Disney to show Gonzalez a little love.Like, say, maybe lifetimes pass to Disneyland?“That would be awesome,” Gonzalez said, his eyes growing wide and big as he prepared to take batting practice before Game 6 in St. Louis Friday.He is dead serious, too.“My wife and would love it,” Gonzalez said, smiling. “And my daughter, wow. She’d go nuts.” ST. LOUIS — Adrian Gonzalez didn’t start the whole Mickey Mouse drama in the National League Championship Series, but now that he’s been thrown smack into the middle of it by the St. Louis Cardinals Fun Police, he’s hoping to make the most of it.So if you’re listening, Disney, Gonzalez and his family are huge fans of everything you do. From movies to theme parks to Sleeping Beauty to Princess and the Frog, everyone in the Gonzalez household is a huge fan.In fact, his daughter, Brianna Belle, is named after Princess Belle from Beauty and the Beast.“So yeah, we’re big fans,” Gonzalez said.