AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis Howard Lake | 11 September 2013 | News Girls to ‘walk the world’ for Plan UK The charity’s chief executive Tanya Barron said: “We’ll be walking in solidarity with the 66 million school-aged girls around the world who are missing out on an education… Plan UK is using its campaign to make a positive, lasting difference to the lives of four million of the world’s poorest girls.”The Girls’ School Association is supporting the event, with walks in London, Manchester, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and the Midlands. International Day of the Girl was formally adopted in 2012 to recognise the challenges and power of girls globally. Its adoption followed extensive lobbying from Plan and other organisations.Photo: Robynlou8 on Flickr.com Next month thousands of schoolgirls will mark the International Day of the Girl by taking part in a series of sponsored walks to raise funds for international children’s charity Plan UK. The charity describes the combined event as “one of the biggest UK charity walks ever attempted”. More than 30 schools have already signed up to the World Wide Walk. Each girl will walk 10km, adding up to more than 40,000km, equivalent to the circumference of the globe.The charity hopes to raise £250,000 from the event. The money they raise will help to educate some of the world’s poorest girls through Plan UK’s Because I am a Girl campaign. Advertisement 8 total views, 1 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving.
By Chris Rotolo | OCEANPORT – Following seven years of legal battles the U.S. Supreme Court (SCOTUS) announced its decision on Monday morning that Monmouth Park Racetrack had won its right to sports betting, a decision that ruled the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) as unconstitutional.“We started this fight back in 2012 and are grateful that the Supreme Court has recognized that we’ve been right all along,” said Dennis Drazin, the chairman and CEO of Darby Development LLC, in a statement released shortly after the announcement.Drazin spent the better part of a decade entangled in this fight to preserve the future of Monmouth Park. He has expressed confidence in interviews and at the racetrack’s annual opening luncheon Wedneday that victory was assured.With that notion in mind, Drazin revealed that Monmouth Park had already expanded the first floor gaming area of the grandstand at the William Hill Race & Sports Bar.Oceanport Borough Council President Joe Irace believes sports wagering at the racetrack is approaching quickly.“I understand that they already have wagering machines on site, the grandstand has been redone, and I believe they’re in a position to be accepting wagers within the next two weeks,” Irace said Monday.Oceanport Mayor Jay Coffey said this decision has solidified the future of a Jersey Shore institution in an era when the health of the horse racing industry is uncertain.“The racetrack industry is not a standalone industry anymore,” Coffey said. “This is the first step in a multi-step journey that will allow for other types of revenues to come to Monmouth Park…And it’s a win for all of us. Because the better they do, the better it is for Oceanport.”There is more to come on this developing story as Drazin is expected to speak today at a 1 p.m. press conference at the William Hill Race & Sports Bar in Oceanport.