NICHOLS (WBNG) — Tioga Downs is demanding the state allows casinos to open after remaining closed even after phase four of Governor Andrew Cuomo’s reopening plan went into effect for the Southern Tier on June 26. Broome County Executive Jason Garnar asks, “If Walmart can open, why can’t Tioga Downs?” Additionally, horse racing officials say if the racetrack at the casino is not allowed to reopen, they will be forced to take 200 to 300 horses to kill pens. On July 16, Tioga Downs sent a WARN Notice to employees saying that if the casino’s racetrack does not open before Oct. 1. 2020, it will be forced to close. State Senator Fred Akshar was also in attendance at Friday’s news conference. Garnar says he was able to provide a tax cut last year due to the $1.5 million revenue the casino brings into the county. More than 600 employees will be affected should that happen. At the conference Union workers also called upon the state to end of the difference between Tioga Downs and casinos on Native American territory, addressing the fact that the Turning Stone casino has been allowed to reopen. The casino says if the governor offers guidance, one thing it will do to ensure everyone’s safety is to take the temperature of all guests who enter the facility. In a news conference on Friday, Tioga County officials asked the governor to provide some guidance so they may reopen.
Arsenal fans demand Shkodran Mustafi is sold immediately after Crystal Palace horror show Metro Sport ReporterSunday 21 Apr 2019 5:34 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.4kShares Skip Comment PLAY About Connatix V67539 Read More Rio Ferdinand tells Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop struggling Read More Video Settings SPONSORED Top articles Read More Manchester United captain Harry Maguire / Advertisement 1/1 1 min. story Visit Advertiser website GO TO PAGE Full Screen Coming Next Shkodran Mustafi was at fault for Wilfried Zaha’s goal against Crystal Palace (Picture: Sport Image)Arsenal fans instructed Unai Emery to sell Shkodran Mustafi following another error-strewn display against Crystal Palace.The Germany international was restored to the starting line-up as a consequence of Sokratis Papastathopoulos’s suspension after the former Borussia Dortmund defender picked up his 10th booking of the season in the recent defeat at Goodison Park.Arsenal had kept six cleans sheets in their last seven games in all competitions, but Mustafi’s presence heralded the return of familiar defensive frailties.The 27-year-old was partly at fault for Christian Benteke’s opener, allowing the Palace striker, who hadn’t scored a Premier League goal in over a year, the freedom of the penalty area to head home Luka Milivojevic’s free-kick.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT Advertisement Mustafi has to be sold this summer. He is broken and in need of immediate repair somewhere else #ARSCRY— Alex (@TotalFootball_7) April 21, 2019 Read More Read More Shkodran Mustafi appeared to blame Bernd Leno for Wilfried Zaha’s goal (Picture: PA)Arsenal equalised immediately after the break through Mesut Ozil but another Mustafi error gifted the visitors the lead when he failed to play the ball and allowed Wilfried Zaha a clear run in on goal.The Ivory Coast international comfortably beat Bernd Leno with Mustafi compounding his error by appearing to lay the blame at the feet of his goalkeeper, much to the annoyance of Arsenal’s fans who were left to count the cost of an eventual 3-2 defeat that put a huge dent in their Champions League qualification hopes… More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City Skip Ad by Metro
According to Alex Putterman of the Hartford (Conn.) Courant, UConn has an agreement to pay a $10 million withdrawal fee from the AAC and $3.5 million entrance fee to the Big East, of which it was a member from 1979-2013. The school is officially expected to begin competition in Big East-sponsored sports on July 1, 2020.It’s a move that makes sense for the UConn men’s and women’s basketball programs, considering their deep-rooted basketball rivalries with many of the Big East’s current teams.“While we all appreciate the AAC, the board has made a decision that is best for the athletic (department),” said interim board chairman Thomas Ritter said (via the Hartford Courant). “At this time I support accepting the Big East’s invitation as the better overall fit that in my opinion is best for our student-athletes.”That said, it does leave questions for its football team, considering the Big East does not sponsor football. Ritter acknowledged those questions after the vote. UConn has officially returned to the Big East after the school’s board of trustees approved a move from the American Athletic Conference on Wednesday. The vote came after Big East presidents voted to extend the university an invitation on Monday.MORE: Weighing UConn’s football options “Make no mistake, we will still be committed to our football program,” Ritter said (via The Hartford Courant). “We will have options for football and decide on a pathway for a successful and exciting football program.”Huskies football coach Randy Edsall, who up until Wednesday declined comment on the situation regarding his team, finally issued a statement once the move was made official.University officials declined comment until a Big East-sponsored news conference on Thursday at Madison Square Garden.
LeBron James backtracked on his comments about refusing to play games behind closed doors due to the spread of coronavirus.The Lakers star had said on Friday he would not take part in games without fans, something the NBA had reportedly advised teams was a distinct possibility. James clarified his remarks on Tuesday and claimed he was unaware the possibility of games being played in empty arenas was under actual consideration. MORE: Every U.S. sporting event altered by coronavirus”When I was asked the question, ‘would you play without any fans?’ I had no idea there was a conversation going on behind closed doors about the particular virus,” James said. “Obviously, I would be very disappointed not having the fans, because that’s what I play for — I play for my family, I play for the fans. “If they [the NBA] decide to go to that point [where games are played behind closed doors], I’d be disappointed in that, but at the same time you’ve got to listen to the people that keep track of what’s going on. If they feel like it’s best for the safety of the players, safety of the franchise, safety of the league to mandate that, then we’ll all listen to it.”LeBron says he wasn’t aware that the discussion about playing games without fans was happening behind closed doors when he made his comments Friday. He’s revised his position, saying while he would be “disappointed” to play without fans, he and teammates will listen to experts. pic.twitter.com/VEOvNH3Jyk— Kyle Goon (@kylegoon) March 10, 2020The proliferation of COVID-19 has led to all sporting activity in Italy being banned until April 3, while professional football games in Spain and France will be played behind closed doors. In the United States, MLB, MLS, the NBA and NHL have stopped granting media access to locker rooms for an indefinite period.There have been 472 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the U.S. as of Tuesday, when the death toll stood at 19.
By The Nelson Daily SportsThere will be no trip to the Canadian College Athletic Association Men’s Basketball Championships for LVR grad Chase Rickaby and the Mount Royal Cougars.Rickaby and Company lost in the semi finals of the Alberta College Athletic Association Final Four tournament to eventual champion NAIT 95-82 Friday in Edmonton.The Ooks from NAIT went on to easily claim the 2011 title by thumping Lethbridge Kodiaks 93-66 in Saturday’s Final.NAIT guard Shane Cox led the Ooks in scoring with 22 points while Bol Kong had 15 points and 12 rebounds.Calgary’s Mount Royal defeated Lakeland College of Lloyminster, Alta., 91-81 to win the bronze medal.This is Rickaby’s second season at Mount Royal. The 5’8”, 160-pound guard played sparingly this season, averaging in the single digits in all the major categories.Mount Royal finished second in the ACAC Southern Division, four points behind Lethbridge with a 15-3 record and 26-8 overall. Rickaby, enrolled in the nursing program at Mount Royal, played basketball at Trafalgar under the guidance of veteran coach Lorne Wuori.Rickaby, whose brother Clay played for the varisty squad at LVR this season, graduated to the Junior Bombers with coach Chris Dergousoff before playing two seasons for varsity skipper Ross Naka.As a member of the Senior Bombers Rickaby averaged 24 points per game, six assists, four rebounds and three steals during his two years.He earned second all star team status at the 2009 AA provincials while helping the Bombers to a sixth-place finish and was invited to represent LVR at the B.C. High School All Star game at the University of B.C. in Vancouver.The CCAA Championships go March 17-19 at Durham College in Oshawa. Runner up Lethbridge could also be heading east the Canadian tournament as there is still one wildcard team spot open for the CCAA seeding committee to decide to round out the eight-team three-day [email protected]