But Pierre has two factors working against him. First, he is such a lethal stolen-base threat, having swiped as many as 65 in a season during his career, that pitchers are loath to give him a free ticket to first base. Second, pitchers who fall behind in the count aren’t afraid to come back with meaty fastballs to Pierre because he never has hit more than three home runs in a season. “They know if they keep it over the plate, the worst they’re going to give up is probably a double,” Pierre said. “It’s kind of a catch-22 situation.” Mays in runningAdd non-roster right-hander Joe Mays, whom the Dodgers signed less than two weeks ago, to the long list of those vying for the fifth spot in the starting rotation. Little said before Saturday’s first workout of the spring for pitchers and catchers that Mays will be kept on a starter’s throwing program at least through the early part of camp. “He has a good history,” Little said. “He will be given the opportunity to make this ballclub, and we will certainly try to put him in a position he is most comfortable with.” Mays, 31, has spent most of his seven-year career in the majors as a starter, but his overall success has been spotty. He is 48-70 with a 5.05 ERA after pitching six seasons for Minnesota and splitting last year with Cincinnati and Kansas City. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! VERO BEACH, Fla. – Addressing one of the offseason’s hot-button issues for the first time on Saturday, Juan Pierre refused to fan any controversial flames. The fleet center fielder, whom the Dodgers signed to a five-year, $44 million contract in November, said he has no preference between batting first or second. Shortstop Rafael Furcal, the guy who will fill whichever of those spots Pierre doesn’t, hasn’t arrived in spring training yet and isn’t required to until Tuesday. “I went through a similar situation in Florida with Luis Castillo, who was an established leadoff man and a great leadoff man,” said Pierre, who was traded to the Marlins from Colorado the winter after a 2002 season in which Castillo had a 35-game hitting streak. “I have batted second before, and I know Furcal is a great leadoff man who did a great job last year. “It won’t change my approach. I always try to take pitches, regardless.” Manager Grady Little plans to try both Pierre-Furcal and Furcal-Pierre alignments during Grapefruit League games before making a decision for the regular season. All Little has promised so far is that once he has decided, he won’t change his mind unless the alignment he chooses proves after a time to be a failure. In other words, he won’t flip the left-handed-hitting Pierre and the switch-hitting Furcal just because the Dodgers are facing a certain pitcher. Although he has spent the vast majority of his career batting first – including 158 games with the Chicago Cubs last season – Pierre’s lifetime on-base percentage (.350) is below the optimum for a leadoff man. But Pierre said that statistic is misleading. “I try to get my walks,” Pierre said. “I rarely swing at first pitches, and I get a lot of 2-0, 3-1 counts. But I usually won’t take a pitch just off the plate because I don’t trust the umpire to call it a ball, and I also expand my zone a little bit with two strikes.”
The band from the northwest coast would get at least $6 million from the province for a proposed pipeline that would pass through parts of its treaty lands.The Prince Rupert Gas Transmission Pipeline would service the proposed multibillion-dollar Petronas Pacific Northwest LNG project at Lelu Island, and the agreement also means the First Nation will receive a share of $10 million in ongoing benefits from the pipeline.Nisga’a Nation President Mitchell Stevens says the agreement includes removing more than 63 hectares of land from the Nisga’a Memorial Lava Bed Park to accommodate the pipeline.- Advertisement -However, he adds, elders have been struggling for more than a century for the kind of opportunity they received yesterday, and the band is now on board for LNG development.“This is an important agreement for our people and is another step towards achieving sustainable prosperity for the Nisga’a Nation,” President of the Nisga’a Nation Mitchell Stevens said. “The agreement further establishes the Nisga’a as active partners in B.C.’s LNG industry and serves notice to investors that we are interested in collaborative opportunities that are based on positive relationships.”The Nisga’a Nation has approximately 7,000 citizens in northwestern B.C. represented by the Nisga’a Lisims Government.Advertisement
1 Danny Ings has been linked with a transfer to Liverpool Daniel Sturridge returned to the Liverpool team and scored, which was a welcome sight to fans of the club.But so often this season they have watched as Mario Balotelli, Fabio Borini and Rickie Lambert try and fail to find the back of the net.And that is why Ings was linked with a move to Anfield in the January transfer window. The 22-year-old has scored seven times in 20 Premier League games, though it did emerged Real Sociedad, managed by David Moyes, were keen.However, Ings rejected a move to Spain to remain at Burnley until the end of the season with a view to moving to Liverpool in the summer, but what do Reds fans think of the potential transfer and the striker’s suitability. Below are a selection of tweets from Kopites with differing opinions.Click here to keep up to date with all the latest Liverpool news by clicking here.
0Shares0000Kylian Mbappe has retained his sparkling World Cup form for France © AFP/File / FRANCK FIFEPARIS, France, Nov 14 – World Cup winners France, Eden Hazard’s Belgium and a fast-improving Netherlands under Ronald Koeman could all book places in the finals of the Nations League in matches between Thursday and Tuesday.The competition, UEFA’s bid to move away from meaningless friendly matches, has divided opinion in its inaugural season. The strongest sides will qualify for the finals next June, but all 16 group winners will get a place in the Euro 2020 qualification playoffs.However, if those nations have already qualified for Euro 2020 through normal qualifying, the best-ranked team from a lower group will be drafted in.Qualifying for Euro 2020 does not begin until next March.France on brink of qualificationKylian Mbappe can carry world champions France into the finals on Friday with a draw against the resurgent Netherlands in Rotterdam.“We are going there for the win,” coach Didier Deschamps warned. “We are the world champions and we will behave like it.”France beat the Dutch 2-1 in September after PSG star Mbappe scored the opener and Chelsea target man Olivier Giroud clinched the three points after Ryan Babel had equalised.Since then the Netherlands have thrashed Germany 3-0 and drew 1-1 in Belgium. Koeman is rebuilding the Dutch squad that failed to reach this year’s World Cup with rookie striker Arnaut Groeneveld, a 21-year-old Nigerian-born winger, and Justin Kluivert, son of Patrick, two exciting new faces.Two of the world’s best defenders also go head-to-head as Real Madrid’s Ballon d’Or contender Rafael Varane will line up for France and Liverpool’s blockbuster signing, Dutch captain Virgil van Dijk, will marshall his backline.Deschamps will be missing stars Paul Pogba and Benjamin Mendy but has recalled Moussa Sissoko, the versatile Tottenham man who was one of their stars in their run to the Euro 2016 final.Not the Germany of oldMidfielder Leroy Sane was left out their World Cup squad © AFP/File / Tobias SCHWARZGermany have struggled to put a disastrous World Cup behind them and face the prospect of relegation from Group A1 having taken a solitary point so far.They have to beat the Netherlands in Gelsenkirchen on Monday to avoid dropping down a division.Few observers expect Germany to fail to book their ticket to Euro 2020 through the normal qualifying process, but their form has done nothing to boost their flagging morale.Coach Joachim Loew, who retained his job despite the first-round World Cup exit, has begun to dispense with the 2014 World Cup-winning players including Jerome Boateng and bring in fresh blood like Manchester City’s Leroy Sane.The incentive for the Dutch is clear: two wins will see them into next year’s finals.Belgium keeping formHazard’s Belgium, the side that were only stopped at the World Cup by France, will reach the finals with a Group A2 win against Switzerland in Lucerne on Sunday. In fact, a draw would be enough if the Belgians avoid defeat against Iceland on Thursday.Croatia seek revenge on SpainWorld Cup finalists Croatia are hunting a first Nations League win when they host Spain, with revenge foremost in their minds after losing 6-0 to them in September.“We are in much better shape than then. It was a debacle and we need to look for revenge… with three points,” their coach Zlatko Dalic said.The goalless Group A4 draw against England was played behind closed doors, so the game in Zagreb will be the first time Luka Modric has run out in front of a home crowd since inspiring Croatia to the World Cup final, a feat that makes him favourite to win the Ballon d’Or next month.After a superb year that also landed him the FIFA player of the year award, the Real Madrid midfielder is nearing full fitness, Dalic said.“He is the leader and he will be at a high level,” the coach said.Love it or loathe itLiverpool’s Jurgen Klopp calls the Nations League a “senseless” competition comparable to making a prize heavyweight box every night.But Germany’s Loew likes it, saying: “Competition is preferable to playing against small nations.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Carli Lloyd The USA beat Japan 5-2 in the Women’s World Cup final, helped by a Carli Lloyd hat-trick.Lloyd’s third goal was a wonderful long range effort just 15 minutes into the game to put her side 4-0 ahead.“You train and train and train and I dreamed of scoring a shot like that,” she said after the USA became the first side to win the trophy on three occasions. 1
Swansea winger Nathan Dyer has signed a new four-year contract, the Welsh club have confirmed.The 28-year-old, who picked up a Premier League winner’s medal during his loan spell at Leicester City last season, joined the club from Southampton in 2009. Dyer, who has scored 31 goals in 271 appearances for the club and had one year left on his previous contract, is the second Swansea player to commit to the club in as many days with Gylfi Sigurdsson also signing a new four-year deal.He told Swans TV: “I was on loan last season, and had a good year at Leicester and the experience I got was unbelievable but I’m happy to back at the club that first gave me my opportunity to show what I can do.“I want to repay the club so it’s nice to have signed a new deal.“I was going into the last year of my contract but the new deal will keep me here until I finish [my career].“I’ve always seen myself to be here, ‘once a jack always a jack’ so you can say, I came here when I was younger I’ve learnt my trade. We’ve won and achieved so much and we’ve made history at this club.“In pre-season I had to show the manager [Francesco Guidolin] what I was capable of because he hadn’t known of me so it was nice to speak to him. He was obviously impressed and wanted me to stay.“I’m excited with the boys here, I know there’s been a few talks about people coming and going but hopefully that will settle down in the next couple of days and we can focus on the start of the Premier League.”During his time at the Liberty Stadium, Dyer has helped the Welsh club secure promotion to the Premier League and played an integral role in Swansea’s Capital One Cup triumph over Bradford in 2013 – the first major trophy in the club’s history. Nathan Dyer wants to stay at Swansea for the rest of his career 1
Frank Larkin, a disability rights activist, has today spoken out against non blue badge holders for parking or blocking wheelchair accessible parking spaces. Today he said; “I was down the town [Letterkenny] this morning, and I observed not one, not two, not three, not four, but five wheelchair accessible parking spaces being used or blocked by non blue badge holders.” He has questioned when this issue will begin to be taken seriously by the authorities.Speaking to Donegal Daily, Frank said how this is an everyday occurrence for him, and leaves him feeling frustrated. “It usually means I can’t go where I need to and can’t get done what I need to do”. He says this has always been an issue that he has had to cope with since before he even began driving, and “it just hasn’t gotten any better over time” despite more awareness surrounding disability.He asserted; “There are laws there to deal with it. They need to be enforced better.”Frank is currently conducting a disability access survey of businesses in Letterkenny. He is inviting local businesses to take part. He says that “parking will certainly feature heavily in my finished review.” Speaking about his survey, he said; “The main aim is to identify how accessible premises in Letterkenny are or not and to make businesses think about how accessible they are as part of the process involves them filling in a self assessment form on how accessible their premises are.”If you are interested in getting in touch with Frank to register your business for the Disability Access Survey, you can contact him email@example.com or telephone 087 7405617.You can keep up to date with his work my visiting his Disability Awareness and Equality page.Activist hits out at non-badge holders occupying Wheelchair Accesible Spaces was last modified: August 26th, 2016 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:disability access surveyDISABILITY AWARENESSFrank Larkinletterkennywheelchair accessible parking
The jury in the case of Donegal county councillor John O’Donnell who is accused of assault causing harm has been sent home for the evening.The jury of six men and five women had been deliberating for almost three and half hours when one juror member said they had a personal matter to attend to. Judge John Aylmer, sitting at Letterkenny Circuit Court, said the jury had been deliberating long enough.He requested that they return tomorrow to continue their deliberations.O’Donnell, aged 37, is accused of assault causing harm to Seamus O’Donnell in February, 2015 following a night out in Letterkenny.The victim claims he was kicked in the head while on the ground and knocked unconscious by John O’Donnell of Kilmacrennan.The victim was hospitalised for eight days following the assault.The accused has denied the charge.Jury in councillor’s assault trial sent home for the evening was last modified: December 18th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Those are crazy fixtures. Seriously need every player fit and firing to get through and it’s me being realistic rather than overconfident.— Donald Gotze (@AningoGotze) August 30, 2018 Liverpool’s fixture run!! 😱😱😱😱15th sep: Tottenham vs Liverpool 18th sep: Napoli vs Liverpool 22nd sep: Liverpool vs Southampton 25th sep: Liverpool vs Chelsea 29th sep: Chelsea vs Liverpool 03th Oct: Liverpool vs PSG 7th Oct: Liverpool vs Manchester City— HP (@HPetter) August 30, 2018 Jurgen Klopp has a daunting run of fixtures to contend with after the international break 2 Liverpool’s next 7 fixtures after the international break are mad for a 4 week period🤯 That will make or break our team #LFC— Jack Austin (@JackAustin1x) August 31, 2018 Then, in the space of just one week they face Chelsea twice; in the Carabao Cup at home, and then in the league at Stamford Bridge.Their nightmare run of fixtures is then finished off by welcoming Neymar and Co. to Anfield before a potential title-decider already against Manchester City.While Liverpool fans may be resenting their draw, there are plenty of unforgiving rival fans who have mercilessly teased the Reds over their draw.Check out the best Tweets below! Liverpool’s fixtures list is actually disgusting man— Callum (@CallumMoran10) August 30, 2018 Looking at Liverpool fixtures for September, I’m surprised that they haven’t started a petition 😂— Gage (@willgagex) August 31, 2018 2 Liverpool fans have been mocked by their rivals on social media after being handed a tough Champions League group.Last year’s beaten finalists were accused of taking an ‘easier’ path en route to their clash with Real Madrid, but there can be no complaints if they manage to repeat the feat. Liverpool’s next 7 fixtures:Leicester SpursPSGSouthampton Chelsea (cup)Chelsea (league)Man City Liverpool fans: pic.twitter.com/KnuYNZdL9U— Michael Baiden (@baiden_michael) August 31, 2018 Liverpool are gonna be tested over the next two months. Their fixtures are tough!— Lazer Xavier (@LarryCK) August 31, 2018 The Reds fell agonisingly short against Real Madrid in the Champions League showpiece last year mad. Liverpool genuinely have a harder set of fixtures in the group stages than they did in their entire campaign last season ffs— rk (@RK98v2) August 30, 2018 Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain and Serie A giants Napoli stand in the way of the Reds, as well as Red Star Belgrade – who came through the qualifying rounds.It means they will face seven fixtures in the space of just 22 days which could make or break their season already.After the first international break, Jurgen Klopp’s men will travel to London for a trough Premier League game against Tottenham Hotspur.That is followed by their first Champions League game against Napoli in Italy and then a home game against Southampton.
Labour Senator Jimmy Harte is showing some small signs of improvement.Senator Jimmy HarteThe Letterkenny politician was found unconscious with serious head injuries in Dublin on Saturday week last after the Republic of Ireland versus Latvia game.It is understood Jimmy fell close to the apartment which he owns in Dublin. He was immediately put into an induced coma.In the past couple of days the father of four has shown some hopeful signs.He has moved his hand and is also making some response to people’s voices.A spokesman for the Labour party said “Jimmy Harte remains in a stable but critical condition. “There have been some small but welcome signs of progress in the past day or so.”Jimmy was initially treated at St James Hospital but was then transferred to Beaumont Hospital which specialises in head injuries.Messages of support and goodwill have been flowing in for Jimmy and his family since his accident on November 15th. SENATOR HARTE SHOWING SMALL SIGNS OF POSSIBLE RECOVERY was last modified: November 26th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ICUImprovementSenator Jimmy Harte