By U.S. Embassy, Bogotá, edited by Diálogo November 20, 2018 U.S. Navy hospital ship USNS Comfort arrived in Colombia on November 14th, on the second half of its trip to Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, and Honduras, as part of humanitarian mission Enduring Promise 2018. Authorities held an opening ceremony for the Comfort’s mission in Colombia as it started its medical assistance aid in Turbo, Antioquia department, November 16th. Along with volunteers from Argentina, Canada, Colombia, the United States, and other nations, the Comfort’s personnel assisted hundreds of patients and conducted surgeries aboard the ship. By day two, November 17th, the USNS Comfort had cared for 1,013 patients and conducted 16 surgeries. General practitioners, specialists, and dentists begin in the early morning to admit patients arriving from different villages and municipalities from the Urabá region, in Antioquia department. For Carmen Mosquera, 83, the medical care meant seeing the future with more optimism. “Now I can see well; you know how unsafe it can be for those who cannot see well,” Mosquera said, showing her three new pairs of glasses. During the opening ceremony at the Marine Riverine Battalion in Turbo, U.S. Ambassador to Colombia Bill Whitaker, along with other U.S. government representatives, thanked Colombian entities and institutions involved in the humanitarian mission and stated that thanks to the joint effort and advance coordination, hundreds of citizens will improve their health conditions and have access to surgeries and high-quality medical attention. “We seek to be by Colombia’s side in this crucial moment in the country’s history,” Whitaker said. “You can count on us. We will be by your side now and in the future, just like in the past. Together we can.” In addition to Ambassador Whitaker, Assistant Secretary Kimberly Breier, from the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Western Hemisphere Affairs; U.S. Navy Captain William K. Shafley, and Colombian Minister of Defense Guillermo Botero Nieto took part in the event. “The Comfort is a multinational effort of the Americas for the Americas,” Breier said. “The United States’ commitment to Colombia goes beyond any particular policy or objective. The mission we start today is part of this commitment.” The goal of humanitarian mission Enduring Promise is to provide treatment and medical assistance to vulnerable populations in Turbo (November 16th-20th) and Riohacha (November 26th-30th). Colombia is the only country with two scheduled stops for the Comfort, reflecting the close, continuing cooperation between the two governments. It’s the fifth time the Comfort goes to Colombia as part of U.S. Southern Command’s wider regional effort. The ship will head to Honduras upon completing the mission in Colombia.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice’s office announced Thursday that there will be no charges filed in the tragic Fourth of July boating accident that claimed the lives of three children last year.Rice’s office determined “that no criminal charges are appropriate,” but they will continue to investigate the incident in order to issue what the district attorney’s spokesman called “comprehensive findings and recommendations” at a future date.The DA’s office noted that the investigation uncovered a “unique combination of circumstances” that led to the boat capsizing as 27 people—17 adults and 10 children—celebrated a fireworks demonstration on the 34-foot boat in Cold Spring Harbor.“Additionally, it has also uncovered gaping holes in the maritime regulatory system and contributory design flaws in the vessel,” Rice’s spokesman John Byrne said. “The combination of these factors proved to be deadly but cannot support criminal charges that require proof beyond reasonable doubt.”The statement didn’t say what specific design flaws contributed to the accident.The three children who tragically died—8-year-old Victoria Gaines, 12-year-old David Aureliano of Kings Park and Harlie Treanor, 11, of Huntington Station—were all trapped in the cabin when the boat sank.Shortly after the incident, the cabin cruiser’s owner said the boat was not overcrowded and that there were enough life jackets on the vessel.The man at the helm told reporters afterward that a wave hit the boat right before it capsized.
Somehow, culture always pops up when you talk to HR people.Last week, I had the honor of visiting a number of credit unions. And I spoke to a number of HR people. And that discussion popped up again and again.During one conversation, an interesting idea came up.What is culture? How can an organization have a “culture?” Organizations are made up of individuals, aren’t they?What makes a group of individuals act one way or the other? How much of culture belongs to the organization? And how much belongs to you?Great questions – without clear answers. But perhaps here’s a better set of questions? continue reading » 25SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
– Advertisement – On Nov. 3, long-time evangelical pastor and big-time Trump supporter Rev. Irvin Baxter Jr. died of complications from COVID-19. Based in Plano, Texas, his ministry announced his death at the age of 75. Baxter, a televangelist who appeared on End of the Age syndicated television and radio program and founded Endtime Ministries, preached an apocalyptic-brand of Pentecostal Christianity that has been practiced in the United States since the early 1900s. Baxter had been hospitalized for two weeks before succumbing to the virus. A couple of months ago, on The Jim Bakker Show, while they sold “Pandemic Bundle” DVD books about the end of times, Irving Baxter Jr. explained his thoughts on COVID-19 that he had been “thinking about … the sin of fornication.” According to something he read in the “encyclopedia,” only 5% of new U.S. brides were virgins, meaning that the rest were guilty of fornication. He went on to explain that this may be a “wake-up call” from God. “This coronavirus may be a privilege.” – Advertisement –
Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion I read Mary Cater’s April 4 letter to the editor regarding Spectrum’s treatment of existing customers. She is “spot” on. We are experiencing all of the same issues that she mentioned. Spectrum is flooding the airways with commercials meant to create new business. They should also have a campaign and initiate practices and pricing policies to better serve long-standing customers.John BestgenNiskayunaMore from The Daily Gazette:Puccioni’s two goals help Niskayuna boys’ soccer top Shaker, remain perfectEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?Niskayuna girls’ cross country wins over Bethlehem
While the majority of Muslims in Indonesia are waiting for a formal government announcement on the start of Ramadan, some Muslims in Maluku started fasting on Wednesday, performing their first tarawih (Ramadan night prayers) of the holy month on Tuesday.The government is set to hold a meeting with Muslim organizations to determine the start of Ramadan on Thursday.The fasting month started early on Wednesday in a number of villages in Maluku, including Wakal, Hila and Tengah-Tengah in Central Maluku regency, as well as Dai and some villages in Pulau Panjang district in East Seram regency. The Religious Affairs Ministry previously issued a circular on prayer guidance during this year’s Ramadan and Idul Fitri, advising that tarawih be performed individually or in congregation with those living in their homes. The circular also stipulates the prohibition of other mass gatherings that are traditionally held during the month, such as sahur (predawn meal) “on the road” events and calls for minimizing physical contact during zakat (alms) collection.The country’s second-largest Islamic organization, Muhammadiyah, which has also issued a circular advising Muslims to perform tarawih and Idul Fitri prayers at home, has set the start of Ramadan for Friday.Meanwhile, Nahdlatul Ulama (NU), the country’s largest Muslim organization, has yet to stipulate the fasting schedule, as it will determine the start of Ramadan by observing the new moon on Thursday.In Maluku, while some Muslims started fasting on Wednesday, others will start on Thursday, Friday or Monday, depending on local consensus.In Leihitu district in Central Maluku regency, for example, Kaitetu, Seith and Negeri Lima villages will start Ramadan on Thursday, while the other eight villages will start on Friday.In the meantime, Muslim villagers in Kabauw and Rohomoni villages in Pulau Haruku district, Central Maluku regency, will start fasting on Monday.Maluku, which confirmed its first positive COVID-19 case on March 22, has recorded 17 cases with no fatalities as of Wednesday. Topics : Hundreds of villagers in Maluku flocked to local mosques to perform tarawih, despite the government’s ban on congregational prayers at mosques due to the outbreak.Some mosques were so crowded in Wakal and Tengah-tengah that not all worshippers could be accommodated, forcing some to pray in the mosques’ courtyards.Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) secretary-general Anwar Abbas said he was not against some communities starting the fasting month early but said they should pay attention to the safety of the people in the midst of the pandemic.“But if the coronavirus outbreak has started in their areas, they shouldn’t gather to prevent the high possibility of being infected,” Anwar told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.
This home at 53 Castile Street, Indooroopilly, was the top sale of the week in Queensland. Picture: realestate.com.auFANCY a round?With 24 metres of golf course frontage, there’s no reason for the new owners of this luxurious property to leave home to work on their swing.The sale of 53 Castile Street, Indooroopilly, was the biggest transaction of the week in Queensland, according to CoreLogic, and broke the price record for the street.The property changed hands for $2.85 million in a deal negotiated by Jason Adcock of Adcock Prestige.The record sale price was previously set in 2015 by 9 Castile Street, which sold for $2.15 million.This home at 53 Castile Street, Indooroopilly, has sold for $2.85m. Picture: realestate.com.auThe two-level, architecturally designed home had been in the same family for 50 years and comprises five bedrooms and three bathrooms on 708 sqm.Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 2:08Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -2:08 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels720p720pHD540p540p360p360p270p270pAutoA, selectedAudio Trackdefault, selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenDream Home: Buderim02:08 Related videos 02:08Dream Home: Buderim00:32Mediterranean style mansion with wine cave02:10Dream Home: Manly01:31Lana’s Dream Home: favourite rooms01:19Dream Home: Buderim Qld01:36Dream Home: BrookfieldIt includes a teenager’s retreat, home office, pool, gym and separate entertaining spaces on both the upper and lower levels — all framed by views of the St Lucia Golf Course from nearly every room.The home is also just a stroll from St Peters Lutheran College, Ironside State School and the University of Queensland.This property at 53 Castile Street, Indooroopilly, has sold for $2.85m. Picture: realestate.com.auThe second biggest sale in the state in the past week was on the Gold Coast, according to CoreLogic.A four-bedroom, three-bathroom home at 12 San Remo Boulevard, Bundall, sold for $2.45 million.The sale was negotiated by Genc & Co Bundall, which marketed the property as “one of the finest low set homes in Sorrento”.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home3 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor3 hours agoThis home at 12 San Remo Bvd, Bundall, has sold for $2.45m. Picture: realestate.com.auSurrounded by multi-million dollar mansions, the big family home is on a huge 1174 sqm block. Features include a resort style swimming pool with its own private sandy lagoon, sleek designer kitchen with large butler’s pantry and a master suite opening out to a large decked terrace.This home at 12 San Remo Boulevard, Bundall, was one of the biggest sales of the week in Queensland. Picture: realestate.com.auThe sales come as Brisbane’s auction clearance rate made a rapid recovery this week after nosediving to its lowest level in years.The preliminary clearance rate for Brisbane jumped to 54.5 per cent, latest figures show, with more than half of houses that went under the hammer selling.It’s still a weak result compared to the other mainland capitals, but a significant improvement on the previous week when the city’s auction success rate plunged to 33.3 per cent.There were 119 Brisbane homes taken to auction this week, with 77 results reported so far.Across the Gold Coast, 39 results have been reported so far, with a success rate of 38.5 per cent.PRELIMINARY AUCTION CLEARANCE RATES(Week to Sunday July 2):Melbourne 71.9 per centSydney 72.6 per centBrisbane 54.5 per cent(Gold Coast, 38.5 per cent)Adelaide 62.5 per centPerth 50 per centCanberra 75.8 per cent(Source: CoreLogic)
The American Association of Port Authorities (AAPA) is looking to secure some USD 66 billion from the US President’s USD 1 trillion infrastructure package for federal port-related infrastructure investments.The fund would be distributed to cover various infrastructure upgrade projects over the period of the next 10 years, on both the waterside and the landside.In a hearing titled America’s Water Infrastructure Needs and Challenges, to be held on January 10, Port of Cleveland President and CEO William Friedman will testify before the US Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works (EPW).Friedman’s testimony will focus on issues related to navigation infrastructure maintenance, rehabilitation and replacement, at America’s public ports.“AAPA is looking forward with great anticipation to a focus on America’s infrastructure investment needs by the Trump Administration and Congress in 2018,” Kurt Nagle, AAPA President and CEO, said.Seaport cargo activity accounts for 26 percent of US GDP and generates over USD 320 billion annually in federal, state and local tax revenues.
Total Exploration and Production UK (TEPUK) has awarded a general maintenance and operations support contract to PBS, a recently formed Aberdeen-based consortium. Total’s Culzean field in the UK North Sea; Source: TotalPonticelli, Brand, and Semco joined forces in 2019 to establish PBS, an integrated services consortium led by Ponticelli, to tender and prepare for the implementation of the general maintenance and operations support project.The contract with Total is effective from 2Q 2020, PBS said on Thursday.Under the terms of the five-year contract, PBS will manage asset integrity, maintenance and reliability, fabric maintenance, shutdowns and modification projects for all Total UK’s operated assets, which currently produce in excess of 250,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.PBS said it would standardize ways of working across TEPUK assets and make greater use of technology to improve efficiency and reduce operations and engineering costs.Commenting on the contract award on behalf of the PBS consortium, Thierry Le Gangneux, Group Executive Vice-President and Director for Ponticelli UK Limited, said: “This award represents an exciting formation of a new consortium based on shared values, visions and the need for change within the industry.“We have worked with Total previously in Europe and West Africa and this long-standing relationship means we are well positioned and committed to providing safe, reliable and efficient operational support in the delivery of their GMOC in the United Kingdom. By harnessing each of the PBS partners’ specialist capabilities and bringing them together under the consortium, TEPUK will benefit from our decades of collective knowledge and experience from within the wider Ponticelli, Brand and Semco business units.”Spotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email. Also, if you’re interested in showcasing your company, product, or technology on Offshore Energy Today, please contact us via our advertising form where you can also see our media kit.
Share LocalNews AID Bank on a drive to reduce non-performing loan portfolio by: – May 16, 2012 23 Views 3 comments Share Share Sharing is caring! Martin CharlesThe Dominica Agricultural Industrial and Development Bank (AID Bank) is aggressively pursuing efforts to address the level of delinquency within its Loan Portfolio through the implementation of a number of strategies. That’s according to newly appointed Chairman of the AID Bank Martin Charles.Mr.Charles who took up his official appointment last month says the bank has a mandate to be a catalyst and leader in financing investment in Dominica. Charles says these developments will be compromised if funds owed to the bank are not repaid.“Over the years the AID Bank has informed the general public that there are persons who have borrowed monies from the AID Bank, they are in a position to pay but yet still they are not paying their loans and as a result our non performing portfolio rose to a substantial amount.”At the end of the last financial year 2010-2011 loans in the non-performing category totalled 19.91 million E.C dollars.The newly appointed Chairman of the AID bank says strategies have been and will continue to be implemented by the bank to reduce this trend.“Our five year strategic plan addresses the non-performing portfolio. If you look at our last financial report we were able reduce that portfolio significantly because of the strategies that we were able to put in place to deal with our non performing portfolio”.Charles is however optimistic that defaulters will come forward and make good on their promise to pay AID Bank.“We are not totally satisfied with where we are right now. We believe that much more can be done and will be done. All I am asking is that persons who are delinquent take a decision to make good on their promise and pay AID Bank its monies”.Mr. Charles cautioned that the non-payment of monies will affect the Bank’s ability to finance projects in the productive sector, which is instrumental in sustaining investment, creating jobs, and increasing foreign exchange earnings.By: Tarnia GreenGovernment Information Service Tweet