More From Roadshow 0 Share your voice Post a comment 2020 Bentley Continental GT: Concept looks with a surprise inside Bentley 2020 Bentley Continental GT V8 first drive: A more athletic grand tourer Bentley’s first SUV is a 187-mph, all-terrain luxocrat Enlarge ImageThe material was created “by the team of exceptional craftsmen and women based in Crewe, England,” Bentley said. Bentley Bentley is preparing to introduce a new version of its Flying Spur sedan, and the latest teaser provides an idea of the incredible attention-to-detail that Crewe’s craftspeople are putting into the new ultra-luxury car.Specifically, Bentley said Thursday that the new Flying Spur will use a new type of leather upholstery with a three-dimensional diamond effect. The company promised that, as ever, the Flying Spur will offer “an unparalleled touring experience for the driver and passengers alike.” Superluxury Cars Luxury cars Sedans 2020 Bentley Continental GT Convertible: Unparalleled grand touring Tags 26 Photos More about 2020 Bentley Continental GT Convertible Preview • 2020 Bentley Continental GT Convertible first drive: 207-mph toupee shredder Earlier this year, Bentley offered up two teasers of the outside of the new Flying Spur. The car will offer an ornately designed take on the brand’s “Flying B” hood ornament, while a sketch revealed that it might have some design cues from the two-door Continental GT range. So far Bentley has said only that the new car will be fully revealed later this year.As to other details, it’s fair to assume the flying Spur might use the same touchscreen infotainment system as the newest Continental GT. That car’s powertrains might carry over, too; they comprise a 6.0-liter twin-turbocharged W12 with 626 horsepower and 664 pound-feet of torque along with a 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 good for 542 hp and 568 lb-ft.The current version of the Bentley Flying Spur was revealed at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show. The introduction of the new model comes in the year of Bentley’s 100th anniversary. Bentley
Share Abner Fletcher“Destroy the Confederacy” protester at Sam Houston Park.The Houston Chronicle reports a Houston man has been arrested for allegedly trying to plant explosives at a Confederate statue in Hermann Park.A 25-year-old man was taken into custody Monday (Aug. 21) for attempting to destroy the General Dowling Monument located in Hermann Park, according to the office of Acting U.S. Attorney Abe Martinez. A complaint was filed in Houston federal court Monday charging Andrew Schneck.And across Texas this weekend, symbols of the Confederacy fell — the latest at the University of Texas in Austin — where crews took down four Confederate statues overnight.READ: FULL STATEMENT FROM UT PRESIDENTThree of them have been moved to the university’s Dolph Briscoe Center for American History. The center’s executive director, Dr. Don Carleton, joins us to explain which of the four statues are now at the center and what’s planned for them.And, we hear what protesters and counter-protesters had to say at this weekend’s rally here in Houston, where the “Spirit of the Confederacy” statue remains in place Sam Houston Park downtown.Michael Hagerty“The Spirit of the Confederacy” statue in Sam Houston Park downtown, erected in 1908.
By Micha Green, AFRO Washington, D.C. Editor, email@example.comAn underestimation in the amount of transit cards needed for District students could leave a lot of kids, stuck at the Metro or not at school starting next week.Starting October 1, students will be unable to use city-issued D.C. One Cards, which allowed students to ride the Metrorail, Metrobus and D.C. Circulator for free. The reason for the change is because D.C. One Cards were initially not meant for transit use. In its place, students will need a Kids Ride Free SmarTrip card which are supposed to be distributed by school administrators; yet the amount of cards issued to schools is causing major frustration for several parties- including students, school leaders, parents and officials.Students and parents are worried there are not enough DC transit cards. (Courtesy photo)Mary Shaffner, principal at DC International Charter School (DCI) in Northwest, told WAMU she has asked the city for more cards several times to no avail. DCI has over 1,060 students and Shaffner only received 448 cards from the District Department of Transportation (DDOT). Officials told WAMU they sent DCI 125 more cards, yet that still leaves more than 400 cards needed for students.“We need the balance so our kids can get to school because the majority of them take public transportation,” Shaffner told WAMU. “It cost a lot of money to come from Wards 7 and 8 to DCI. Those kids will have to pay, and maybe they don’t have the funds to pay for that. We have heard parents say that, ‘my kid is going to miss school because we can’t afford to do this everyday.’”DCI parent Susanne Horn is concerned that her sixth grade soon will need to pay about $4-$5 a day to get back and forth from school.“That’s going to be a really expensive commute if you’re going to pay it out of pocket,” Horn told WAMU.Attendance has already been an issue in the District, particularly during last school year, when a couple of area schools experienced scandals with falsifying attendance records including Dunbar, Ballou and Anacostia.District of Columbia City Administrator Rashad Young said his office initially ordered 32,000 cards since 25,797 students used D.C. One Cards for transportation purposes last school year. Then, Young said the office ordered 10,000 more cards last week after the high demand.Yet Young did not account for the more than 90,000 students attending public and charter schools in the District, leaving more than half without a way to get to school free of charge. Young said the cards were only supposed to be for the students that would “need or use” the cards.Young said that as the city adjusts to the new process, he expects issues to be rectified- yet his optimism does not comfort parents and leaders who are daunted by the October 1 deadline to begin using solely SmarTrips.